The NDPA works to support water safety efforts across the U.S. and around the world.
Here are some of our accomplishments and ongoing efforts:
- Conferences/Symposiums: Each year the NDPA hosts the largest event in drowning prevention, the National Water Safety Conference. This event brings together professionals, advocates, educators, public officials, and the private sector to learn, share, and collaborate on water safety efforts. In 2021, the NDPA will launch a second annual event called the Drowning Prevention Symposium as a autumn event that will enhance collaboration and address major topics in water safety.
- Virtual Events/Education: The NDPA hosts a webinar series that brings expert advice, the latest research, and important information to our audience all year long. More recently, the NDPA launched the Water Safety Podcast this summer to highlight our members and partner’s water safety stories. The NDPA was also able to move the 2020 and 2021 National Water Safety Conferences to a virtual format to continue our water safety mission. All of our in-person events post COVID will include a virtual/hybrid option.
- Website/Resource Center: The NDPA hosts two unique websites. NDPA.org is home of the NDPA and our most important tool. The NDPA Resource Center was launched in 2020 and is the only all-inclusive water safety resource tool. The Resource Center host multiple resources for consumers and professionals, including a drowning data and literature hub. The NDPA also hosts WaterSafetyConference.com that hosts the virtual education from our national conference.
- Industry Collaboration: The NDPA supports a number of industry activities and offers its expertise. The NDPA is a proud member and supporter of Water Safety USA and the Aquatic Coalition. The NDPA is also a supporter and sponsor of the forthcoming US National Water Safety Action Plan. Many of our board members, advisors, and members are working to develop the plan. The NDPA Executive Director along with multiple NDPA Advisory Council members are part of the steering committee leading the action plan’s development.
- Outreach/Social Marketing: The NDPA also is highly engaged in outreach to expand our network and deliver accurate and timely water safety information. The NDPA is very active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn with a large following on each platform. Additionally, the NDPA sends a weekly newsletter out to over 8,000 committed water safety advocates and professionals. The NDPA also provides consultation and expertise on legislative and advocacy activities.
- NDPA Internship & Scholarship Program: The NDPA hosts a college internship program that allows college students to gain hands on experience with injury prevention and water safety. Additionally, the NDPA offers a scholarship program for students and professionals to offset the cost of attending the annual National Water Safety Conference.
- Codes/Standards Adoption: The NDPA also partners with the International Code Council and PHTA to advocate for the adoption of the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code across the United States.
That’s only a small snapshot of the activities of the NDPA. There’s so much more, and there’s even more we want to accomplish.